Sunday, July 17, 2011

Love hard, laugh hard



Someone asked me recently if being married was hard. I may be blissfully ignorant, but I said no. Sure, it has it's challenges, but it is so worth it. Jonathan and I were 22 and 21 when we got married over a year ago. We were (and still are) young, but it was very clear that the LORD was leading us together. We sought him from start and the timing was right. When the LORD leads you to the man or woman He has for you, marriage is a huge blessing not a burden. (God can certainly make a beautiful marriage out of other circumstances as well, but this is my experience.) I couldn't be happier than to wake up next to my man every morning. Often I gaze at his sleeping face and simply thank the LORD for allowing me to be his wife in this life.

That being said, I never want to take this love for granted. I hope I don't ever get used to being married to him. I don't want our love to become lax. I was never promised marriage in this life. When I was younger I wondered if God was calling me to a life of singleness, but He has chosen to give me this blessed mystery. I pray that I never cease to love my man with everything I am.

"We should love hard, and not casually, fervently, playfully and simply, never heavily or slowly. Slovenly loving makes for wearisome living...love like a school girl with giggles and sighs and keep love alive by consciously keeping wonder and surprise at the core of it." ~ Jim Elliot

My husband is playful and for that I am glad. He keeps me laughing and smiling. If you only heard us sometimes! We are so silly! I pray we stay silly as we love hard. My hope is that we both live in wonder of this precious gift we have been given.

These lovely photos are by T2 Photography . Check them out!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute post, cute pics! xx

Createliveblog said...

Gah. This is so uplifting and happy. I love it. You two are so blessed. :)

-Carly
www.createliveblog.com

Unknown said...

I love what you wrote. God has blessed you with marriage to a wonderful, God-fearing man and what a blessing it is. :)

This leaves me with a hopefulness that someday I will marry a good Christian man and enjoy the precious gift of marriage with him.

mary said...

Jennifer, I love this. You are an angel. Amazing words. xox!

Rhoda said...

So lovely to read this! We celebrate our 3rd year anniversary this week and this sparks the love I want to have for him even more! :)

Vivian said...

Cheers for that beautiful love of yours. Hope it continues like that and that each and every day your love only becomes stronger. Glad to see you are being a positive example to others and the world that tend to put marriage as an inconvenience.

Stephanie said...

May you always stay in love, laugh together and have fun with each other. Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

encouraging post

Becky | Apples of Gold said...

So very true. Thanks for the reminder!

Just me said...

I love this, it's so encouraging!

Anonymous said...

I agree so much- I'm so blessed to be married, it's amazing. Like you said, I hope I don't get 'used' to it. I want to appreciate my husband and have fun every day!

Magical Daydream said...

I am not married but if I ever do I hope to have a similar experience of it :)

x

Marielle

Charissa Steyn said...

Thank you for this inspiring post!! I loved every word...the mystery of marriage- I don't think I will ever get over it!!

Whim Wham Life said...

Such true words! I was just telling Daniel last night how amazing it is just to fall asleep with him every night. The little things in life. I'm praying those same things:-) xoxo

Carly Anne said...

"When the LORD leads you to the man or woman He has for you, marriage is a huge blessing not a burden."

I could not agree with this more. In fact, I find being married to be much easier than NOT being married.

Emily said...

I really like that quote!

I think it's SO important to not take love for granted. I hope to never be lax in my relationship or take advantage of what I have. Glad you are enjoying your love and time you have together!

Jennifer Rod said...

Jennifer your relationship with your husband is always so encouraging to me as I wait for the man God has. Through your story I am encouraged to be still and patient. And it's also lovely to see how two people can be called to service together and i want that so much. thanks for sharing. wish you too many blessings!

Unknown said...

Ah you and your husband are so lovely! What a blessing it is that God is at the center of your marriage. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Bless, Farrah.

Haley said...

this was just what a i needed :) you're positive outlook on life and in marriage is wonderful!! i can tell you love the Lord and you love your husband...and that you work together when bumps come along the way. and you're right, it's SO worth it :)

ps - i've seen those photos before...but i must say again, they are stunning!! and they give me butterflies :)

Alexis Kaye said...

I really love you guys! You're so great! It's so true. My husband and I are the same ages you two were. And yeah, I think marriage is hard, but for what you get out of it, it's a piece of cake. I've found a greater capacity for happiness and love than I ever have in my life. It's an incredible blessing :)

Amanda said...

love love love this post

Amanda @
maggianotakesaustin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful girl! You are truly gorgeous!
What an amazing couple you are XXX

erica marie said...

Beautiful post :)

erica

Leigh said...

aw these pictures are just too cute! you both are super photogenic! so adorable, and glad that your marriage is amazing! :)

thelibertybelleblog.blogspot.com

Amy Kim said...

Beautiful and very encouraging! :-)

Ashley said...

Wow...what a beautiful post! I love your description of your marriage and how God lead you two together. I hope He continues to bless your marriage :)

michaela said...

I love this and can totally say the same for me and my incredible husband! Keep making the conscious decision to learn and grow from every challenge that comes and take in all the goodness that comes by!

Joyeful said...

Oh such GORGEOUS pictures!! So lovely!!! That quote by Jim Elliot is golden! Keep loving hard and marriage will continually be a treasure you delight in :) My hubby and I just celebrated our 8th anniversary this year and we love each other more than ever :)

Meredith Sledge said...

Oh my gracious. Coming from one that loves taking photos, these are AMAZING!!!!! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. IT gives me hope that God is writing my story and that He is in control. <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails