Friday, February 18, 2011

Going. Going. Gone overseas.

My Dad is leaving for India today for a two week mission trip, along with several other people at my home church. I am so excited to see what God is going to do in and through him! My dad was born in Indonesia as a missionary kid. They lived in a two room house (at most...I can't exactly remember) with dirt floors. For fun, he climbed banana trees. They returned to the states when he was 9 because of some health issues with my grandfather. He hasn't been back overseas since.

I can't imagine how that is going to feel when he steps off the plane into a world so similar, yet so different, to all that he knew for the first 9 years of his life. Even still, I can't imagine what God is going to work in him. I have a great sense that it is finally time for God to reveal himself, and His will to my dad. (If I could only describe all that he's been through the past 10 years.) I believe with all my heart that he will do whatever God calls him to do.

My heart yearns to see Him move in a mighty way, so please pray that He will do so. Prayer is a powerful thing.

Also, my Dad is leaving for India tomorrow....and I am not. I went to the same area two years ago, so it has a special place in my heart. I long for it. I am eager to see the faces of those precious people that are so etched in my memory, but more than likely that day will not be until we reach heaven...at least I know I will see some of them. A few weeks before we came, several men had killed all of the Christians in area we were in at the time. (We didn't find this out until the day we left.) So the people that gave their lives to Christ those weeks were literally saying that they were willing to die for their faith, for Christ. I will never forget them.



I saw poverty like never before.

I saw a joy greater than I could comprehend.

I saw need in the eyes of so many people.

I saw many remote villages.

I saw faith in the midst of suffering.

I saw a miracle happen here.

I saw this woman give her life to Christ - no one else in her village did.
"Though none go with me, I still will follow"

I saw light come into this woman's eyes when I told her what Jesus did for her out of love.

I loved these precious children.

I saw this girl begging for money on the side of the road and it broke my heart.


I know my Dad will return different. And I'm excited about it!

Hopfully I will be going back to India this fall. There is a group from my area that will be doing some church plants, and I pray that my husband and I will be able to go with them!

16 comments:

Leah Belle said...

thanks for posting this...i plan to show it to the kiddos. we did a unit entitled Mission India this year and raised some money to fund Bible clubs there. recently we have heard reports of Christian persecution and have been praying for the Christians of India. we will pray for your Dad while he is gone.

Ashley Slater said...

How exciting for your dad! I can't imagine how he is going to feel going back. Being 9, he must have remembered a lot about his first home so I bet the memories will come flooding back! I will for sure add him to my prayers, I know God will touch his heart.

I love your pictures, and the captions. The one of the woman who accepted Christ alone out of everyone in her village? WOW! So powerful!

Ashley Slater said...

Yes you have to play around a little bit with the pixels and size! It is one of those trial and error things... :)

Aaron & Ashley said...

Great photos!

Erin said...

so beautiful! missions in india is on my heart all of the time these days... i'm so eager to get over there and serve... but i'm in the waiting on the lord stage. (this stage can be so difficult though!)

Brooke T said...

This is amazing. Such wonderful and colorful pictures. It really must have been life changing to go there!

Whim Wham Life said...

Beautiful post! I wish everyone could spend time overseas and get a bigger picture of what this world is and how we are a small part of it, but can do big things. Missions holds a special place in me & my hubby's hearts! Blessings to your Dad! xoxo

Gabriella said...

Such a touching post! I will pray for your dad and his safekeeping!

just the two of us! said...

i love this post. The Lord has spoken to me in mighty ways through mission trips. I love serving such a BIG God!

CarrieJo said...

what a beautiful post! thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

that is a fascinating story about your dad and his and your trip to india! so beautiful. xx

Faith said...

"Though none go with me, still I will follow." What a courageous woman!

Alexis Kaye said...

This is awesome! what a great opprotunity! p.s. your new header is to DIE for! I absolutely LOVE it! :)

arielle elise. said...

just love those pictures! that is one place i haven't been yet and would love to visit. reminds me of amy charmichel and all her writings. blessings and safe travels to your dad!

Blythe said...

Hey,
I found your blog through a comment on -far from perfect's- blog!

I've always dreamed of going to India,God just just put a strange longing to go there for a strange reason that I don't understand(Yet) in my heart!

Thank you fo sharing it made me smile (also a little sad) and long for that country even more!

Thank you for sharing!

In Christ,
Blythe

www.asimplefarmgirl.blogspot.com

www.runningbarefootphotography.blogspot.com

Laura said...

wow. O_O

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails