Monday, January 17, 2011

Where the Spirit of the Lord is


This is a generation that longs for purpose in life.

After seeing our parents work the "9 to 5" just to pay the bills and feed the family, we think that there's got to be more to life than what lies behind a cubicle. I know I do.

We are dreamers. And our dreams are huge. My dream is to be part of something bigger than myself...I have so many passions that I long to put to use to make a difference.

But dreaming isn't enough. Dreaming doesn't change the world.

Do you yearn for purpose in life? Do you want to spend every single breath here on earth living with passion? I am convinced that my generation is fed up with living in the "status quo." We are tired (I am tired) of doing and seeing things in every aspect of life (our culture, church, work, relationships and so on) as they have been done and percieved. We're not afraid to go against the flow, but not really sure how we should go about it. In talking with Christ-followers close to my age, I see that we're not sure how the "day in and day out" should intertwine with our dreams...but we do know that God does have a specific purpose for our lives.

We are ready for CHANGE!

How do we become a force for good in the world? How do we know the will of God for our lives? How do we change the world? I am seeing more and more that is is something to be sought after in the Spirit, and that His Spirit must be in control of our lives if we want to impact the world for the glory of God.

I read this the other day:
"John answered, 'A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given to him from heaven.' " - John 3:27
There is so much truth in that statement.

God's thoughts belong to the world of the spirit, man's to the world of intellect. Though the world of the spirit can embrace intellect, the human way of thinking can never comprehend the spirit. Man's thoughts can't cross over into God's. As spoken through the prophet Isaiah, God says, "My thoughts are not your thoughts and my ways are not your ways. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."

I cannot know the will of God, or anything apart from simply knowing about Him, in my natural self.


"For a man to understand revealed truth requires an act of God equal to the original act wich inspired the text." - A. W. Tozer
I need His Spirit in my life. I can't seem get these verses out of my head lately:

 6Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. 7But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9But, as it is written,

  "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
   nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him"— 
 

 10these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 11For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
 14The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16"For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ."
- 1 Corinthians 2:6-16
I can't tell you how living with passion and purpose will look in my life, but I can tell you that I am seeking it. My endevor is to put all else aside, pursue Christ, surrender to His Spirit, search His Word and to obey what He tells me. That has purpose. And I am convinced that as I seek Him, He will be faithful to show me His will for my life...for everyday. I know that where the Spirit of the Lord resides there is boldness, freedom, power and so much more. I hope to become more intimately aquainted with as Francis Chan calls Him, "The Forgotten God." I want to learn more. I need to know more.

I hope that this will be true in me:

 
"Where Christ is glorified, He (meaning the Spirit) will move about freely, pleased and at home." - A. W. Tozer


Have you guys seen this in our generation? Is a great shift comming? Comments are welcome!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your faith is truly inspiring dear! And I love your earlier post about feeling like a misfit...I live in the land of feeling like a misfit! I have built my own personal misfit castle there!

Cheers!
Hope Ava

Stacy Hill said...

I really love this! I love your passion, you can really feel it in your writing. You are truly a gifted writer, Jennifer. I always enjoy reading what you write. I think your generation is where a change is going to take place. We went to Winter Jam last Friday and it was so amazing to see so many young adults and youth worshipping together in one place. I know God is going to use you in a BIG way and I can't wait to see how He does... - Stacy Hill

Unknown said...

@ Hope Ava: I know! I buy into believing that I am without hope far too often! Thanks for the comment!

@ Stacy: I really appreciate that Stacy! Michelle said that Winter Jam was amazing. I hope that we are the ones that do bring change! It is one of my dearest hopes! Oh, and we are coming home this weekend! Hopefully I will get to see you!

Megan said...

I totally agree our generation is wanting out of the baby boomer status quo...but what I think is the greater picture that you pointed out, is that unfortunately this generation is also the "ME" generation...what can i do for ME? How does this benefit ME? When it should be focused on God first, and His will and desire FOR us..and how does that translate into our often times incredibly self focused and self centered generation.

well said love.

xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails