Saturday, October 16, 2010

I'm not young enough to know everything


  

 Lately I've started reading Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. I have loved the story for as long as I can remember. On long trips with the family it was the movie of choice. I do believe we watched it so much that we wore out the poor little VHS tape! This story (along with the Box Car Children) was probably one of the reasons I had a fasination with orphans when I was a kid. Imagination was the fuel of our afternoon play-times. We'd run out into the backyard pretending to be orphaned princes and princesses, making up whole worlds as we romped.

Though this tale is so beloved, I never thought of reading the original. (I don't know why it hadn't occured to be before now!) Let me just say that I am LOVING every bit of it! I feel like I've stepped into the realm of my childhood daydreams again. 'Tis a wonderful place indeed.


I feel like I could be Wendy. I'm the oldest too.

This is us as kids. Really! I'm Wendy, Matt is John, Michelle is Tink, and Luke is Michael. I'm sure Barrie wrote this about us. I just know it.

Adorable Michael is so endearing. I hope my little boys are just like him!

Oh the lost boys!

Smeed has to be one of my favorite characters. I can't tell you how much we laughed at his folly.

There's something so magical about the imaginative realm of a child. It's not hard for them to believe things. As adults we rationalize, calculate and come to cognitive conclusions. A child will just take you at your word and think twice about if it's "rational" or not. They naturally have a trusting spirit. They are also well aware that they don't know everything. They're always learning, always asking questions.

I need to me more like a child sometimes. I need to take God at His word instead of trying to figure out how I can work things out. I need to trust Him without a second thought. I need to follow Him with enthusiasm. I need to seek to learn from Him. I need to have a sence of wonder at the things of God. I need to be more like a child. Indeed I am a child of God. There is no reason to be so adult-like with Him.

I am reminded of an old hymn my family used to sing in Bible time (our daily devotional time with my mom), Trust and Obey. When I hear it, I think of a child walking through life holding their fathers hand. May I do the same.


Trust and Obey

Stanza 1:

When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His word
What a glory He sheds on our way
While we do His good will
He abides with us still
And with all who will trust and obey

Refrain
Trust and obey
For there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus
But to trust and obey

Stanza 2:

Not a burden we bear
Not a sorrow we share
But our toil He does richly repay
Not a grief not a loss
Not a frown not a cross
But is blest if we trust and obey

Stanza 3:
But we never can prove

The delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay
For the favor He shows
For the joy He bestows
Are for them who will trust and obey

Stanza 4:Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet
Or we'll walk by His side in the way
What He says we will do
Where He sends we will go
Never fear, only trust and obey

Refrain

Trust and obey
For there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus
But to trust and obey

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails