Saturday, November 6, 2010

On Southern Colloquialisms: Stuff me with feathers and call me a pillow



Sometimes my mind is a strange place to be. Really, the truth is that you’d probably freak out if you went in there. Think about all of the icky brain fluid. I’d hate to get stuck under my scull, or anybody’s for that matter. But I digress.
Have you ever heard someone utter a phrase, then suddenly you pause and wonder what in the world they just said? I do that a lot it seems. Since I now reside in the DEEP SOUTH, I hear a lot of things that make me stop and think, “say what?”
Here are a few examples:
  • “I’m fixin to go down the road a piece.” 
  • “Catywampus”
  • “Give me some sugar”
  • “Older than dirt” Hmm.
  • “Spitting image”
  • “Hissy fit” 
  • “You can’t have your cake and eat it too.”
  • “Good enough to make ya want to slap your granny!” 
 I’m not sure how kisses became equated with small morsels of sweetness we know and love as sugar or how far "a peice" is, but I sure would like to know. Do I look like my parents when I spit? And why can't I have my cake and eat it too?  I’ve done it plenty of times. Come to think of it, I’ve always eaten cake if I had it on my plate. I've also NEVER had something so good that it made me want to slap my sweet little granny.
Sigh. I don’t think I will ever be able to wrap my mind around such phrases. My quest is probably hopeless.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails