Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend Recap


I love Thanksgiving. What other holiday begs you to join the rest of the nation in eating a WHOLE BUNCH? Seriously? I love it! Thank you Pilgrims and Indians for this wonderful holiday. We are so thankful that you were thankful.

Moving on.

We newly-weds spent our first Thanksgiving together with my hubs side of the family in (get ready for this) Wewahitchka, FL. What! You haven't heard of it?!?! What is this nonsense? Anyway, his uncle owns a house on the river and all 700 of them celebrate the holiday there. (Ok maybe I exaggerated the number a bit, but they do have a HUGE family.) I almost felt like I could have been at the first Thanksgiving amid all the nature that surrounded me...minus the cars, phones, cameras, boats, golf clubs, plastic plates, modern appliances and etc. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful day and I am very glad that I married into such a warm and welcoming family.

The next day my hubs got up before the crack of dawn (aka 3:00 AM) to work Black Friday. I had planned on getting up around 8 and heading to the Huntsville area to visit my family, but instead things took a different turn. I attempted to go back to sleep...for about an hour and a half. My sinuses were the evil culprit keeping me awake. After about 55 trips to the bathroom to blow my nose (Ok, maybe it was 8), I decided to get in the shower and get ready to leave. At least I could stop and shop a bit on my way, right?

Or so I thought...

About half way through my trip I stopped to grab some breakfast and Christmas shop a bit. The french toast bagel and caramel latte treated me quite nicely. It was a good morning. UNTIL...I started shopping. Long lines and not-so-great-deals plagued me. As I was heading to the next store as a last resort, the heavens opened up and poured out, no not blessings, but buckets of rain. It was raining cats and dogs, or was it raining men? Hmm. Needless to say I was drenched by the torrential downpour. I just had to be parked at the other end of the shops. Great. It was not ok for my life! At least I wasn't hungry as well. That my friends would have been a great tragedy.

Fortunately, the rest of the trip improved greatly. I arrived at my aunt and uncle's house just in time for lunch. I was greeted by warm hugs, Christmas decorations, hot apple cider and food! You can't get much better than that. Late Friday afternoon my parentals and sibs came in and the rest of the clan visited the next day. We played, ate, sang, talked, laughed and had a merry 'ole time. It saddened me that my trip was so short, but I was also ready to get back to my hard-working hubs.

But of course I couldn't part without snapping a few shots. I failed to to so on Thanksgiving at the river, so I had to make up for lost picture opportunities.

My sweet cousin Haley



Thug life. We are so swole!

My precious sister, I love you!



Kathryn Olivia...my most favorite littlest sister!

Notice to all the rest of my family: I would have taken pics with you guys too, but this was last minute.


To put a cherry on top of my semi-sweet chocolate sundae of a weekend, I got to see my very best friend and her boyfriend! (It qualifies as semi-sweet and not Recees-sweet because of the rough start and my horrid chili. But I am getting ahead of myself. Pardon me.) It was good to see each other again. We used to be roomies, but then I got married and she moved 5 hours away. Life happens, but we are still close. Anyway, we decided that McCalister's sounded good for a late supper, (which was a harmless assumption). Little did I know that the delish bowl of chili that I imagined in my head would somehow turn into that nasty meat sauce that you put on top of hot dogs. Dis-gust-ing. But being the Suzie Sunshine that I am, I ate some of it anyway. And of course it had nothing to do with the fact that I was hungry, or the fact that I was too tired to get up. It also didn't have anything to do with the fact that I didn't want to pay for anything else either. No, just Suzie Sunbeam, Sunburst, Sunshine...WHATEVER.

When I returned to our little town home, my hubs and the Christmas lights greeted me. Suddenly all thoughts of the nasty chili and everything else faded into a distant dream. I told him everything that happened as if it was forever away.

Home + hubs + Christmas tree = Me never wanting to leave again.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails